Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Genesis "oil"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 6:59 pm

You all have probably already guessed that I'm an art supply junkie so, in light of that, I recently bought some Genesis Heat Set Oils but just got to play with them today. There's very little information on them on the internet but a member in another forum loves them so I decided to try them. This is my first painting with them and I know it's horrible but I couldn't get the paints to do what I wanted and couldn't mix the colors I wanted. There are several places that boast they can mix over 100 colors from just 6 basic colors (the ones I bought!) but I struggled getting what I got!

I don't plan to give up on them as there are a lot of good points about them as well as some limitations. I want to learn to work with them before I decide. In the meantime, my first painting with them is in the next post.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Genesis "oil" Genesi10

This rose was in our yard but I had to paint from a photo as it opened so quickly!

What I've learned about working with these paints:

They come in glass jars and you take some out and mash the paint on a glass, marble or tile palette with a flexible palette knife. It reacts with plastics so you can't use a plastic palette. It takes a while for the paint to become soft enough to paint with. It doesn't dry but I wonder if room temperature has any bearing on the way it begins to get sort of hard again during the painting session. We keep a somewhat cool house.

You can leave your paints and painting and even your brushes as the paint really doesn't dry. I've been working on a friend's wedding and kept getting interrupted during painting and except for having to mash the paint again, it was perfectly workable. However, the painting itself had also gotten sort of hard and any attempt to soften it for additional blending just left scratches. The texture of the painting reminds me of a scratchboard surface or thick layers of crayon. This may be because I used an Ampersand PastelBord as my painting support which may have been too absorbent - it's recommended that a couple layers of acrylic gesso be used and left to dry at least overnight but I was eager to paint.

I haven't "baked" it yet as I think I'll scrape it all off since it's a horrible painting and just try another surface. As I said, I've been so busy that I haven't had time to prepare a proper support.

If you have any questions about these paints, just ask.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm

I remember being interested when these first came out. Can you take the paint off in clumps of blue and reuse them, instead of having a big pile of grey? Your painting is really interesting and pretty.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Yes, I was intrigued with them too but wanted to wait until there was more about them before I tried them.

I'm not sure about your question - if you mean can I scrape the paint off the support by color? In this case, probably not as most of it is worked into other colors in the various layers plus since it's on Pastelbord, the paint will probably have grit in it.

If you mean can I take it off the palette by color, the answer is yes and I've tried to keep the colors as clean as possible by using a clean palette knife to get color for mixing.

I've noticed that many artists who raved about these paints several years ago don't paint with them now - or at least their blogs and websites don't indicate that they do. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't buy them but that may be because I'm not that experienced with them. But I really do like trying out different art media so at least my curiosity has been satisfied. I'll keep you posted on any other thoughts on them.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am

Oh good. Then you can reuse some of the color. I probably won't get any Genesis, but it is interesting to know how they work. I used to think that the fact that you could paint on it wet until you got it right and then heat set it, sounded ideal. But I guess they never really got it to paint easily. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 7:33 am

Oh, yes, you can definitely reuse it and you don't even have to put it back into the jar - just leave it on your palette. As I said, it has some great things about it but I'm finding it hard to use.

Also, it's picky about the supports you can use - no canvas panels as heat will cause the glue to release and the canvas to come off. No plastic or paper as they can't take the heat and the paint reacts badly with plastic. It supposedly doesn't adhere well to either metal or glass so you can't use those. No canvas that's been sized with rabbit skin glue or sized for oil painting can be used. That pretty much just leaves regular acrylic primed canvas or acrylic gessoed hardboard.

You're also limited by the size of your painting. If the painting won't fit into your oven, then you have to use a heat gun which I'm told is a pain or a radiant heater. You have to hold the gun steady on a spot for several minutes (depending on the thickness of the paint) and the radius of the heat is only about 3 inches so it would take forever to set a large painting.

Unfortunately, these are things I found out after I ordered the paints but I'm still hoping I'll figure out how to use them well. At least I do usually paint fairly small and also normally use acrylic gessoed hardboard so those are things I'm already used to.

If you'd like to try them, Amaco is offering some trial packs for $.25 each which is an unreal price. The variety of colors isn't so great but they do offer some primaries. The shipping is high but even with that, it's pretty cheap to try them. Like the regular price of a 1 oz. jar is $10 and up and about an ounce of these trial packs would only be $.75!

http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-844-genesis-artist-colors.html

Anyway, just wanted to let you know more of what I've found out.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Interesting. I never heard of them. They sound like they would be ideal if they didn't have so many drawbacks in reality. Keep us posted on your progress with them. How is the smell of them? do they have in seed oil in them? What is required for clean up? My concern is about allergic reactions to them.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Judy, there is absolutely no smell and they are supposed to be non-toxic and of course, they aren't really a true oil but more closely related to acrylics so no oil in them. You can use mineral spirits to temporarily thin the paint (or permanently thin them with the Genesis thinner or glazing medium). But if you don't use any mineral spirits, there should be nothing to cause an allergic reaction.

Cleanup is easy but you don't have to clean your brushes or anything if you don't want to. Several artists use a brush for each color and never clean them. To clean between colors, just wipe out the old color on a paper towel. Cloth towels aren't recommended because of the lint dust. Since the paint is non-toxic, the used paper towels can go into the regular trash.

When I was searching about them online, I found someone who said that when they baked theirs, the odor was awful. What I've found (I've been testing supports before painting on them) is that the resin in either the hardboard or the pine stretcher bars is what actually smells and not the paint. Of course, there's still an odor and who knows if that's toxic or not! Someone else suggested using a toaster oven outside to set the paint. I haven't found anyone who's complained about the odor when using the heat gun but there's really not much information that I could find except for doll making/reborning (whatever that is!) so don't know about an odor with the gun.

I'm wondering if I could put a painting in the trunk of our dark colored car in the sun in the summer and if it would get hot enough to set the paint! I guess I'd have to put a thermometer in to see - the recommendation is about 250 to 280 degrees F (265 degrees) for about 15 minutes so don't know if the trunk would be hot enough. If it would get hot enough, that would take care of being exposed to any odor! There is also someone who has plans for building your own heat cabinet/oven.

I'm still busy with other stuff as my friend doesn't get married until next weekend so I haven't been able to do very much with the paints yet. I have found that the more you mash and work them, the softer they get. That's a relief as I thought they were almost too stiff & hard to work with when I did the above painting.

Hopefully I can try to paint with them after next weekend and I'll let you know more about them. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the info. That sound a little strange that you have to mash them. In Tucson, I bet the trunk would work, especially at this time of year.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Hey Judy, just found out that you can clean your brushes with window cleaner or alcohol then soap and water and I read that you can thin the paints with alcohol also (the 90% kind, not the 70%). Would that work for you?
Oh, the main reason for not using a cloth for wiping your brush is that the paint doesn't dry so it gets all over everything if you use a cloth more than once!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Sounds really interesting. Thanks for all the information Jan. I think I'd better stick with what I have until I learn how to use it better, anyway.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Jan is that the drinking alcohol or the rubbing alcohol. Smile I might be more creative with the drinking one. A little for me...a little for the brush. (I really don't drink. Just kidding.)
Back to top Go down
JanG

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
Jan is that the drinking alcohol or the rubbing alcohol. Smile I might be more creative with the drinking one. A little for me...a little for the brush. (I really don't drink. Just kidding.)

Hee hee, Judy! I think either one would work - it needs to be 90% rubbing alcohol and I'm sure EverClear would work too. You might could reserve a bit of the EverClear for "medicinal" purposes! LOL

I've done another Genesis painting and have some more observations on them - would you like for me to continue to post here?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Well, I'd sure love to see the Genesis paintings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Genesis "oil" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genesis "oil"   Genesis "oil" Empty

Back to top Go down

Genesis "oil"
Page 1 of 1